** This class will be held at the TLC main office at 220 French Landing Drive, Nashville TN
Instructors: Naoko Takeda, Tomi Kawamura
Pre-requisite: This class is for anyone ages 16 and above who are interested in building on their knowledge of kanji for the purpose of improving their reading, speaking and writing skills in Japanese by learning kanji/Chinese characters. In the class, the instructors are instructing and communicate mainly in Japanese. The learners who are interested in joining this class are asked to take a basic N5-level kanji knowledge test (reading and writing). Let’s go explore the world of kanji together.
The learner/club members will be able to broaden their knowledge of Japanese language by learning the common daily expressions with kanji. In addition, they will be guided by the instructors to understand the traditional Japanese culture, its values, and esthetics in depth. The learners/club members are encouraged to learn to write kanji correctly and beautifully as a form of their self-expressions in a friendly, confidence-building classroom.
Can-Do Statements: Upon successful completion of this course, learners will be able to:
· Understand the meanings of 72 kanji related to: Family, Housing, Fashion, Shopping, Business, Stores and Time of the Day at the N4 level.
· Learn the origins of kanji.
· Learn Kanji characters effectively in groups classified by the radicals and the meanings
· Expand their vocabulary related to the kanji of each week.
· Write kanji beautifully with correct stroke order and forms
Class Expectations: Learners should plan to practice an hour or more each week.
Kanji Master N4 Revised Edition – Kanji for Beginners (ISBN-13: 978-4384059649)
Kanji notebook (150 letter or lower)
This course will cover chapter 1-4 of the textbook.