Instructor: Tomi Kawamura
Objective: Learners on this course will further develop the speaking, listening, reading and writing skills they have developed in the previous courses. During this course, learners will focus on different aspects of life in Japan such as meeting new friends, eating out, and taking a trip. The instructor will continue to guide the learners in cultural exploration within those topics.
Can Do Statements: Upon successful completion of this course, learners will be able to:
· Give a self-introduction, including some personal information such as the meaning of your name
· Talk about yourself, giving a few details such as your hobbies, past experiences
· Give a description of someone’s clothes and physical appearance
· Give your first impression of someone you do not know
· Say the number of people in your party and where you want to be seated in a restaurant
· Read a menu written vertically in Japanese
· Talk about the recommended dish at a restaurant
· Say what foods and drinks they cannot eat or drink and why
· Order a meal in a restaurant stating which dish they want and how many of each
· Say how to eat a particular dish
· Make a simple presentation about how to eat a particular dish from their country, using notes
· Ask/tell a friend what a sightseeing spot is like
· Give advice on a good season to take a trip based on personal experience
· Talk about transportation to take during a trip
· Read and type 49 new kanji words including jukugo 熟語 (compound words) that appear in the textbook
· Write an additional 15 kanji characters that appear in Kanji Mater N4: Chapter 3-1: Packages, Chapter 3-2: Addresses, Chapter 3-3:Prefectures
Use of the Language: This course has been designed in such a way that most of the class time will be devoted to communication and will be taught in the target language (i.e., the language that you are studying). As you already have some experience with the language, you are encouraged to use the target language as much as possible from Day 1. You are not expected to understand everything, and you can expect to be pushed beyond your comfort zone. However, your instructor is there to make sure you can succeed in meeting the goals of the activities and of the class in general. Our goal is for you to be able to communicate in the target language, and we cannot learn to speak a language without speaking it. Please remember that we learn best by making mistakes, and we encourage you to try to do your best. Don’t forget that your instructor is there to support you in class and is also available via the Matrix messaging system for assistance.
Expectations/Time Commitment: It is strongly recommended that you schedule about 4 hours per week outside of the weekly 2-hour class to engage with this course material. Please plan accordingly by scheduling your time on your calendar now. Active engagement in all course activities (e.g., class participation, module completion, homework, written assignments, studying vocabulary, etc.) will contribute to your learning and success in this course.
Required Materials: (Note: the coursebooks may be purchased from the vendor of your choice; possible sources are linked below)
1. MARUGOTO KATSUDOO: Japanese language and culture Elementary 2 A2 Coursebook for communicative language activities (ISBN-10 : 4384057563 ISBN-13 : 978-4384057560)
2. MARUGOTO RIKAI: Japanese language and culture Elementary 2 A2 Coursebook for communicative language competences (ISBN 10 : 4384057571 ISBN-13 : 978-4384057577)
3. Kanji Master N4 revised edition (ISBN: 9784384059649)
Strongly recommended (free) apps and materials:
1. Kanji alive: A free study tool for reading and writing kanji - A web application designed to help Japanese language learners of all levels learn to read and write kanji
2. Kanji Memory Hint 3 [English]
3. MARUGOTO+ (free, supplemental digital resource site where users can learn about Japanese language and culture alongside the Marugoto coursebook)
4. MARUGOTO A2-3 KATSUDOO & RIKAI Self-Study Course
This course will cover Marugoto Elementary 2 (A2) Katsudoo textbook Lesson 1-5, Marugoto Elementary 2 (A2) Rikai textbook Lesson 1-5.