** This class will be held at the TLC main office at 220 French Landing Drive, Nashville, TN
Instructor: Tomi Kamakura
Objective: Learners in this class will build on skills developed during the Beginner 1-6 and Explorer 1 levels. Learners on this course will further develop the speaking, listening, reading and writing skills they have developed in the previous courses. During this course, learners will focus on different aspects of life in Japan such as one’s health and the habits for physical well-being, read and answer the questionnaire and present the results, etc.as well as societal topics (e.g., wedding, celebration, and gift giving customs). The instructor will continue to guide the learners in cultural exploration within those topics.
Can-Do Statements: Upon successful completion of this course, learners will be able to:
· Ask a friend how he/she is feeling/ Answer how you are feeling
· Listen to/Say how to do some easy exercises
· Suggest something good for the health
· Talk berifly about what you usually do to stay healthy
· Read and answer a simple questionnaire on health
· Make a simple presentation about the results of a questionnaire
· Give a compliment to a friend
· Talk about your possessions, saying when and from whom you got them
· Talk briefly about the custom of present giving in your country
· Talk about the activities you are involved in learning the culture of another country
· Discuss what to do for a friend’s celebration
· Read and write a congratulatory message for a wedding
· Thank someone for a present you receive
· Read and type 31 new kanji words including jukugo 熟語 (compound words) related to the course topics
· Write, read and learn new vocabulary that appear in Kanji Master N4 Chapter 1-1 Family, 1-2 Condominiums, 1-3 Fashion
Use of the Language: This course has been designed in such a way that most of the class time will be devoted to communication and will be taught in the target language (i.e., the language that you are studying). As you already have some experience with the language, you are encouraged to use the target language as much as possible from Day 1. You are not expected to understand everything, and you can expect to be pushed beyond your comfort zone. However, your instructor is there to make sure you can succeed in meeting the goals of the activities and of the class in general. Our goal is for you to be able to communicate in the target language, and we cannot learn to speak a language without speaking it. Please remember that we learn best by making mistakes, and we encourage you to try to do your best. Don’t forget that your instructor is there to support you in class and is also available via the Matrix messaging system for assistance.
Expectations/Time Commitment: It is strongly recommended that you schedule about 4 hours per week outside of the weekly 2-hour class to engage with this course material. Please plan accordingly by scheduling your time on your calendar now. Active engagement in all course activities (e.g., class participation, module completion, homework, written assignments, studying vocabulary, etc.) will contribute to your learning and success in this course.
Required Materials: (Note: the coursebooks may be purchased from the vendor of your choice; possible sources are linked below)
1. MARUGOTO KATSUDOO: Japanese language and culture Elementary 1 A2 Coursebook for communicative language activities (ISBN-13: 978-4384057546)
2. MARUGOTO RIKAI: Japanese language and culture Elementary 1 A2 Coursebook for communicative language competences (ISBN-13: 978-4384057577)
3. Kanji Master N4 Revised Edition – Kanji for Beginners (ISBN-13: 978-4384059649)
Strongly recommended (free) apps:
1. MARUGOTO+ (free, supplemental digital resource site where users can learn about Japanese language and culture alongside the Marugoto coursebook)
2. MARUGOTO online course A2-2
3. Kanji alive: A free study tool for reading and writing kanji - A web application designed to help Japanese language learners of all levels learn to read and write kanji
4. Kanji Memory Hint 2 [English]
This course will cover Marugoto Elementary 1 (A2) Katsudoo Lesson 15-18, Marugoto Elementary 1 (A2) Rikai Lesson 15-18.